image1 image2 image3 image4

WELCOME TO VERSATILELYLE.COM|MY STYLE IS SO VERSATILE

I am a creative in South Africa - Yolanda Willie

1. Tell us about where you grew up?

I grew up in a little town called Vredendal, where I lived with my Grandmother and a whole clan of siblings and relatives (lol).

Vredendal is a beautiful little town and I love it very much, it played a gigantic part in me being the person I am today. As much as it's a very small town and doesn't have much to offer its people, it taught me to always dream bigger (even the impossible) and to be more than what my circumstances allows me to be.

I spent my primary school life years there until I had to come to Cape Town to come live with my mother to attend high school here.

2. How did you get into the industry you're in right now and did your parents support you in your career choice?

Well, I have amazing parents, my mother and grandmother. No one in my family understood the career path in which I wanted to follow but they always trusted me to know what I want and go for it. So with them it's pretty much about what makes me happy and of course if it is realistic, so yes they supported me as they did (and still does) with everything I do.

I always wrote and took pictures for as long as I can remember. I always loved it and as much as I knew I didn't have the experience or degree, I had (have) the passion and drive.

I'm that annoying person (lol). I would email publications, establishments, etc. over and over. I would do this over and over until they would respond! Whether it is a yes, no or free advice! I take anything that would help me get to where I want to be.

So I pretty much just kept on pushing  (still pushing) and now as much as I'm not exactly where I want to be with my blog and everything else, I realise that it takes some time, patience, self-belief and hard hard work.

3. Do you see yourself in this industry long term?

Blogging and media

Yes, I definitely, definitely do.


"Everything has changed so much, it was once "cool" to be like the rest of the crowd. Now the new "cool" is being yourself! "


4. What do you think your industry needs more of?

Creatives!

People that are doing it for the love and the passion! Creatives that's got a story to tell. Individuals that are bold and creative in their own right.

5. What is the worst part of your industry?

It's not often that you meet genuine individuals. When they touch, hug or talk to you it's not often that you can see that the gesture is genuine.

6. What is the best part of what you do?

My blog - Telling my story as an African.

The launches I attend for the Magazine - I must say the people I meet. I have met a few absolutely amazing creatives whose crafts are absolutely phenomenal! I'm meeting some creatives whom I have only heard of or seen on tv or magazines and now I get to talk to them, and at times when I'm lucky, ask them for advice! Hahahahah

Also the learning stage. I have learned so much! I am still. I look at where I was last year... and I look at how I have grown as a creative, blogger and person because of everything I take from all the lessons I learn and all the things i learn in and about this industry  .

7. What would you tell someone wanting to follow the same career path?

Do it for the right reasons!

I have two amazing people and creatives  I look up to ... one of them is my best friend Sindy and the other is someone I can happily call a friend now as well, Monde.

They're are absolutely talented! Anything they touch turns to gold! I just love their work... but more importantly what they stand for. They taught me that it's not about the fame, it's the passion, the drive... do it for the love of it.

  • Be yourself 
  • Do it for you
  • Be real
  • Be unique
  • Be constant
  • And do not be afraid of failure

Failure is inevitable. Use failure to help you get up over and over again. Perfect your craft, be confident in it and remember the right people are watching.

8. What kind of future South Africa do you see for creatives?

Everything has changed so much, it was once "cool" to be like the rest of the crowd. Now the new "cool" is being yourself! Even if it means being different. More and more creatives are emerging with their own colours to paint and their own stories to tell.

I see a future South Africa where being creative gets applauded, embraced, and encouraged.

Yolanda Willie

Find Yolanda online:
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Landa-986324668058492
Instagram: https://instagram.com/theblaqprint/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Theblaqprint01
Blog: https://theblaqprint.wordpress.com/


Goldie is an Events Reporter and Owner of Goldiestyling Media
and resident Guest blogger on VersatileLyle.com
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/GoldiestylingLoveLocalCulture
Twitter: @Goldiestyling


Share this:

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment